Rastatt is a town in Baden-Württemberg, about 22 kilometres southwest of Karlsruhe and about twelve kilometres north of Baden-Baden. It is the district capital and largest city of the Rastatt district and forms a middle centre for the surrounding communities.
The urban area of Rastatt consists of the core city and the districts of Niederbühl, Ottersdorf, Plittersdorf, Rauental and Wintersdorf.
For the history of Rastatt here are some excerpts from the municipal page:
From the Bronze Age to the 16th century
The settlement of the Rastatt district dates back to the Bronze Age. The village of Rasteten, conveniently located at an important river crossing, was first mentioned at the end of the 11th century.
King Ruprecht granted the village market rights in 1404. The market developed into a preferred trading place for Alsatian wine. That is why the town of Rastatt has the wine ladder in its coat of arms.
The Palatinate War of Succession in 1689 completely destroyed the market town. This was followed by the reconstruction of the town as the new residence and model town of Margrave Ludwig Wilhelm of Baden-Baden.
Rastatt in the 17th and 18th century
Slightly elevated above the city lies the imposing complex of the Rastatt Residence Palace . High up on the roof shines the golden figure of Jupiter, popularly known as the "Golden Man". It symbolizes the builder of the castle: Margrave Ludwig Wilhelm of Baden-Baden, who ruled from 1677 to 1707. In 1700, he was the first of the princes on the Upper Rhine to decide to build a modern Baroque residence instead of his hunting lodge, which had already been started.
The palace is one of the earliest German examples of the imitation of the Versailles system. The glorification of the sovereign through architecture, painting and stucco is particularly well understood here. The margrave flaunted his military merits in the palace - as an imperial commander he had been successful in the Great Turkish War, earning him the nickname "Turkish Louis". In 1705 the family moved into a side wing of the palace - but the margrave could hardly enjoy his new residence.
Ludwig Wilhelm died in January 1707 and his wife Sibylla Augusta ruled over the country for twenty years as regent in place of his son Ludwig Georg, who was still underage. Sibylla Augusta completed the interior decoration of the palace and added further buildings to the residence.
Her Favorite pleasure pal ace, a few kilometres away, still bears witness to her exceptional taste in art today. Neither palace was destroyed during the Second World War.
In 1714, Rastatt was the scene where European history was written. It was here that the Peace of Rastatt ended the War of the Spanish Succession, in which all the major European powers had been involved since 1701. The castle provided the stage for the four-month peace negotiations that culminated in the Peace of Rastatt.
Rastatt was the residence of the Margraviate of Baden-Baden from 1705 to 1771. The important baroque buildings that still characterize Rastatt's townscape today were built during this era. After the Baden-Baden line died out in 1771, the margraviate fell to the Protestant Baden-Durlach. The new state government under Margrave Karl Friedrich took various initiatives to promote Rastatt's economy. These included the organisation of the Rastatt Congress, which met in the former residential palace from 1797 to 1799, as well as the foundation of a carriage factory. The court and later the Middle Rhine district government were established in Rastatt. The town develops into a prosperous centre of authority in the first half of the 19th century.
Federal Fortress and Baden Revolution
The construction of the Rastatt Federal Fortress since 1842 meant a break in the development of the town. The city veduta and also the life in the city change fundamentally. The authorities move away, the economic development is henceforth very limited and strongly dependent on the military.
In 1849, Rastatt became the central scene of revolutionary events during the Baden Revolution. From July 1 to 23, more than 5,500 men of the revolutionary army were locked up in the fortress, eventually surrendering to the Prussian besiegers. The federal fortress of Rastatt became the symbol of the Baden Revolution. For the Prussians it was the site of triumph, for the Baden democrats the place of suppression. With the defortification since 1890 the ramparts fall and Rastatt becomes an open town again. New industrial settlements come to Rastatt and bring prosperity to the town.
Our veterinary practice in Malsch is located about 10.1km from Rastatt and is easy to reach via the B3.