Since the territorial reform in Baden-Württemberg in the early 1970s, the urban area consists of the core city and the districts of Bruchhausen, Ettlingenweier, Oberweier, Schluttenbach, Schöllbronn and Spessart.
For the history of the city of Ettlingen here excerpts from the municipal page:
In the first and second century A.D. settlement by the Romans, numerous finds such as god stones, tools, vessels and coins prove this.
788: The first written record of Ettlingen, at that time "Ediningom", is found in a deed of gift from the Weißenburg monastery in Alsace. This year is considered to be the year of Ettlingen's first mention, even though the settlement as such had already existed for a longer time.
The affiliation to the monastery of Weißenburg is shown in the seal, which shows a key. This is the symbol for St. Peter and Paul. Above this is the diagonal bar of Baden. This representation is in the town hall, 1st floor, in the transition from the town hall to the tower.
965: The village called "Ediningom" is granted market rights by Emperor Otto the Great, thus establishing the village's central function.
1192: Presumably in this year, the market town of Ettlingen is elevated to the status of a town by Emperor Heinrich VI, a son of Barbarossa, and thus receives the right to fortify itself. In several expansion phases, the city wall that is still visible today is built around today's core city.
The southern part of the old town between the Alb and the AVG road will be fortified with a double ditch system, the northern part between the Alb and Pforzheimer Straße will have a single fortification but towers like the Lauerturm at the corners for additional protection.
In order to maintain the functionality of ditches and walls, a not small item had to be budgeted in the city budget. When the French made their breakthrough in 1689, the decline of the city walls as an effective protection against enemies began. In the 18th century the ditches were drained and used for pasture. Today they are the wide thoroughfares.
1219: The Baden Margrave Hermann V becomes Ettlingen's feudal lord, while in place of the Weissenburg Abbey, the Baden house monastery of Lichtental takes over the patronage of St. Martin's Church from 1245. The Weissenburg signum - the Peterschlüssel (Peter's key) - disappears from Ettlingen's coat of arms and makes way for the white tower on a blue background alongside the Baden colours of yellow and red.
1462: In addition to the existing saw, oil and grinding mills, Margrave Jakob I of Baden built the first paper mill in Baden. With it, an industry was founded that consolidated Ettlingen's reputation as a paper manufacturing town.
1689: During the Palatinate War of Succession, the town was almost completely burned down by troops of the French King Louis XIV. All documents and church books were burnt.
The following thirty years were devoted to the reconstruction of public and private buildings. A stained glass window on the 1st floor of the town hall records this decisive moment: Margravine Augusta Sibylla receives from the hands of master builder Ludwig Michael Rohrer the building plan for St. Martin's Church, as it was to be built after the destruction as a baroque hall church and still exists today.
Around this scene are grouped other important buildings of the city such as the town hall, the castle and private buildings, some of which were created according to an identical construction plan.
1727:Margravine Sibylla Augusta chooses Ettlingen as her widow's seat. Court architect Johann Michael Rohrer is commissioned with the reconstruction of Ettlingen Castle. Rohrer gives the south wing baroque features, enlists the fresco painter Lucca Antonio Colomba and the stucco artist Donato Riccardo Retti for the interior design and finally adds a castle chapel to the previous castle complex at Margravine Sibylla's request. The chapel was consecrated to John Nepomuk, a Bohemian cleric and martyr, who had just been raised to the honour of the saints and to whom the margravine felt a close bond, not least for reasons of her own country (she had grown up in Schlackenwerth near Karlsbad). For this reason she commissioned the best fresco painter of her time, the Bavarian artist Cosmas Damian Asam, to decorate the Ettlingen Palace Chapel with wall frescoes and a dome painting based on the life, suffering and death of her favourite saint. Asam completed this extremely large-scale work within ten weeks in the summer of 1732.
The picture shows a view into the baroque rooms in the south wing of the castle along the AVG road.
1737/1738: In the same year in which the baroque reconstruction of the nave turns St. Martin's Church, which dates back to Frankish times, into a stone showcase of all occidental architectural forms, the citizens of Ettlingen are able to complete the construction of their new town hall. With its beautifully structured façade of red sandstone - designed by Johann Peter Ernst Rohrer, the brother of Sibylla Augusta's court architect - the defiant tower and its likewise Baroque-designed spire, it forms the architectural counterpoint to St. Martin's Church and, together with it, is one of the town's architectural landmarks.
1771: The Catholic dynasty of the Baden-Baden Margraves dies out, Ettlingen becomes part of the Protestant Margraviate of Baden-Durlach.
1796: "Battle of Malsch" or "Bataille d'Ettlingen" - as it is called on the Arc de Triomphe in Paris - in which Archduke Charles of Austria and the French General Moreau fight a battle at the gates of Ettlingen.
1805/1809: Napoleon briefly takes up quarters in Ettlingen Castle during his military campaigns.
1836: The spinning and weaving mill is founded and soon becomes the third largest employer in Baden. With it, skilled workers from predominantly Protestant countries - Württemberg, Switzerland and Alsace - come to Ettlingen and ensure a confessional mixing of the population and the foundation of a Protestant parish.
1848/1849: Ettlingen provides an important leader in the Baden Revolution, Philipp Thiebauth, who goes into exile for several years after the failure of the uprising. Via Switzerland he reaches Liverpool in England and returns after the amnesty as elected mayor of Ettlingen.
1870/1871: After the Franco-Prussian War, Ettlingen's upward trend continues steadily. Philipp Thiebauth, who returned home and was elected mayor of the town at least three times in a row from 1870 onwards, played a significant role in this development. His era includes the construction of a water supply system and a school building, the expansion of the non-commissioned officers' school in the castle, and the creation of the prerequisites for the construction of the Albtalbahn railway, which is put into operation about ten years after his death in 1897.
1894: The Lorenz machine factory moves to the railway line, laying the foundation stone for Ettlingen-West.
1927: On the occasion of a falsely celebrated town anniversary, today's B3 is opened as a bypass road.
The practice of Tierarzt-Malsch.de is located 10,3km over the B3 from Ettlingen in Einsteinstr. 6, 76316 Malsch.